Who we are
The Environmental Compliance Institute (ECI) is a non-profit Non-Governmental Organization based in Nairobi, Kenya and duly registered under the Non-Governmental Organizations Co-ordination Act (Chapter 134, Laws of Kenya).
ECI’s mission is to promote sustainable societies in Africa by advancing good environmental governance and environmental rule of law.
In pursuit of its mission, ECI works to achieve the following objectives:
- Raise awareness on the importance of environmental protection and sound management and utilization of natural resources.
- Promote development and implementation of improved environmental policies, laws and institutional frameworks.
- Build capacity of regulators and other stakeholders in the environmental regulatory cycle on effective implementation and enforcement of environmental requirements.
- Promote national and regional collaborative networks in order to improve cooperation on mutually beneficial environmental regulatory compliance issues.
ECI’s programs are designed to achieve the above mission and objectives. The current programs are:
- Climate & Clean Air
- Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs)
- Chemicals Governance
- Environmental Crime
- Citizen Participation
- Environmental Regulatory Training
- Regional Cooperation/EANECE